Toronto Vehicle Exhaust Systems & Mufflers - Vehicle Pollution Prevention
Here are some things that may be wrong with your exhaust system, with their corresponding symptoms:
If smoke is coming out of the exhaust, it may mean:
- The fuel system is malfunctioning.
- The engine control computer system is malfunctioning.
- The engine may need major work due to worn piston rings or valves.
If an exhaust analyzer shows high carbon monoxide content, it may mean:
- The air filter is dirty.
- The PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system is clogged.
- The cold start system is malfunctioning.
- The fuel system is operating too rich.
- The ignition timing is incorrectly adjusted.
- The thermostatic air control is malfunctioning.
- The air injection system is malfunctioning.
If an exhaust analyzer show high hydrocarbon content it may mean:
- Fouled spark plugs.
- Faulty spark plug wires.
- Faulty ignition cap or rotor.
- Incorrect ignition timing
- The fuel system is too rich.
- There's a vacuum leak.
For most cars, with modern computer-controlled sensors, accurate diagnosis is a "must" to save time, fuel and, of course, our environment.