Toronto Running, Track & Field, and Jogging
[ Background | Equipment | Where ]
Running and jogging is an easy and convenient way to get in shape and meet people. Running is simply jogging FASTER. Running virtually no equipment and can be done anywhere, and can be done alone or in groups. If you have concerns about your heart or breathing discuss it with you doctor first.
[ Return to top ]
Running shoes (sometimes called "cross-training shoes") should be both comfortable and lightweight and provide good arch and ankle support. Every foot and every shoe is different and you should try on the shoes you buy and even walk around for a few minutes to ensure a comfortable fit. Some optional items to consider are: a wristwatch/stopwatch, a water resistant wind suit (Gortex is best) for all-weather running, and a water bottle. Almost any sporting goods store sells the equipment, and there are several sports shoe even running specialty stores in the city.
[ Return to top ]
You can run outside on the city's and surrounding area's recreational paths.
Some are in the wilderness, and are cross-country trails in the winter.
If you choose to run at night, run in brightly-colored or reflective clothing,
and consider running with a partner for safety.
There are many places to run in Toronto, Brampton and Peel Region, whether you choose the Conservation Area recreational trails, the paved trails in city parks.
Contact any of the following running clubs in Toronto
- Achilles Canada (Toronto), Brian McLean 416-485-6451
- Class Act Running Club (High Park, Toronto), Lili Hrabchak 416-394-7720
- Canadian Cross Training Club (Metro Toronto), Steve Karlsson 905-820-1505
- Christian Runners (Toronto), Laura Branson 416-892-8124
- Energia Athletics Running Club (Toronto), Lea Amaral 416-406-6664
- Frontrunners Toronto (Toronto), Joseph van Veen 416-925-9872 x2042
- Hogtown Hash House Harriers (Greater Toronto), Teresa Tosh 416-686-1674
- Line of Life (Downtown Toronto), Oleg Strilyaniy 416-909-6534
- Longboat Roadrunners (Downtown Toronto), Mike Turner
- RunningRats (Downtown Toronto), JJ Hughes 416-955-1563
- Toronto Penguins Running Club (Metro Toronto), Glenn Gabriel
- Toronto Running Club (Toronto), Tony Samson 416-781-7612 (R)
- Vikings Running Club (York Region), David MacDonald 416-793-4021