Royal Alexandra Theatre
260 King St. West, Toronto, ON
A hundred year old masterpiece of Beaux-Arts architecture, the historic Royal Alexandra is Toronto's senior theatre and is the oldest continuously operating theatre in North America. Built as Toronto's first steel-framed structure, with cantilevered balconies which did not require internal pillars to obstruct lines of sight. The Royal Alexandra is also North America's only truly "royal" theatre, having received its patent from Edward VII and named (also with royal permission) for his consort, Alexandra, a Danish princess and great-grandmother of Queen Elizabeth II.
Since its opening in 1907, almost 3000 productions have played the Royal Alexandra. The theatre was purchased by Edwin "Honest Ed" Mirvish in 1963 and renovated and modernized. In 1987, it was named a National Historic Monument.
There are three levels of seating in the Royal Alexandra: orchestra, balcony and upper balcony (gallery), each with a lobby, bar/refreshment area and washrooms. The largest lounge area, the Yale Simpson Room, is on the lowest level, below the auditorium.
As an historic landmark, the Royal Alexandra is required to maintain the 19th century theatre architecture. There are no elevators in the building. Wheelchair seating is available only in the orchestra level, and wheelchair accessible washrooms are provided on the orchestra level.