Elgin & Winter Garden Theatre Centre
189 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON M5B 1M4
(east side of Yonge Street, opposite the Eaton Centre)
TTC: Queen Street subway stop on the Yonge Street subway line.
Box Office open Mon to Sat 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., or until show time on performance days
1913 opened as Loew's Yonge Street Theatre, the flagship for Loew's chain of Canadian vaudeville theatres. In 1914, the Winter Garden rooftop theatre opened. In 1930, the theatres were converted to movies, and in 1978, the Yonge Street Theatre is re-named the Elgin. In 1989, after 3 years of restoration, the historic Elgin and Winter Garden Theatres celebrated a grand re-opening.
This beautiful theatre complex is the last operating double-decker theatre in the world. This National Historic Site is now owned and operated by the Ontario Heritage Trust. You can bask in the gilded elegance of the Elgin Theatre, and then go upstairs to gaze in awe at the leafy ceiling of the Winter Garden Theatre - seven storeys above the Elgin. The Elgin seats 1500, the Winter Garden seats 992.
The Centre is dedicated to providing theatre-goers Canadian and international entertainment including musicals, comedies, concerts, dramas, operas and films.
The facilities are also available for special events and corporate entertaining. Arnie Lappin, 416-314-2874, Marketing and Communications Coordinator
As a National Historic Site of architectural and historical significance, there are year-round guided public and group tours. Tours take place Thursdays at 5 p.m. and Saturday mornings at 11 a.m. The 1½-hour tour recounts the history and restoration of the complex. See artifacts from its vaudeville days, including silent-film projector, spectacular vaudeville scenery and backdrops (dating from 1913), and a restored vaudeville-era dressing room.