Toronto Home Neighborhoods: Streetsville Neighbourhood
Regal Heights was settled in 1818, by an Irishman named Bartholomew Bull, who built Davenport Road, than named "Bull's Road". Bull built a second house, of brick, in 1830 which was the first brick building in York Township, and his family kept the estate until it was sold to dedvelopers in 1910. Hillcrest is its location perched on the ridge of the Davenport escarpment. Wychwood Park is an exclusive enclave of sixty homes tucked away in a private wooded ravine atop the the Davenport Ridge, and has a number of designated significant Srts & Crafts style heritage homes. Regal Heights detached and semi-detached three storey houses were built between 1912 and 1923.
The Regal Heights neighbourhood is situated on the western crest of the Davenport escarpment, and many homes have great views of the Toronto skyline.. This neighbourhood has many large turn-of-the-century houses on curvey tree-lined streets. The area has good transit access with the St Clair streetcar line in walking distance. Motorists are approximately ten minutes from downtown Toronto and from the Allen Expressway which connects to Highway 401.
There are 2 public elementary, 2 Catholic elementary schools, 1 secondary schools, and 2 libraries. It is a short commute from the University of Toronto and Ryerson University to the south.
Regal Heights is located at the edge of the Corso Italia shopping district along St. Clair Avenue West, with many Italian restaurants and cafes, as well as fashion and accessory stores.
St. Clair Avenue West also home to the Hillcrest shopping district with mostly independent retailers.
Hillcrest Park, at Davenport Road & Christie Street, has tennis courts, a playground and a wading pool, with spectacular views of the Toronto skyline and the Lake.
Earlscourt Park, at St. Clair Avenue West & Caledonia Park Road, has a multi-use recreational facility with gymnasium, an outdoor pool, soccer fields, tennis courts and an artificial ice-skating rink.
More Hillcrest Photos