Toronto Home Neighborhoods: Earlscourt & Carleton Village & Davenport Neighbourhoods
These communitie are NE of the railway tracks, west of Dufferin. In the pre-European era, Davenport Road was a First Nations footpath to connect the Humber and Don Rivers, and was used by early French fur traders. When the British began settlement of the area in the 1790s, one of the earliest settlers was John Gill who's Davenport House caused the area, then the road to it to be named. In 1861, the Northern Railway connected the community and attracted industry to the area. Carleton Village is named after Canada's first Governor (1768) Guy Carleton, though the community is spelled inconsistently with or without an "e". In the early 1900s, Earlscourt was mostly British immigrant labourers working at local factories, who originally lived in shacks, until they saved to build a proper brick house. These communities became part of West Toronto Junction in 1889, and annexed into Toronto in 1909. Residential development was significant after this time. Since the 1960s, Earlscourt had a heavily Italian presence, but has also become popular with new Canadians from the Portugal, Greece, the West Indies, Latin America, and India.
This community is 15 minutes from downtown, via St Clair West or Davenport Road. Motorists are also minutes from the Allen Expressway, north of Eglinton which connects to Highway 401. TTC riders can take the St. Clair bus to the St. Clair station, or a rush hour bus along Davenport Rd or Dupont St to the Dupont station, both on the Yonge-University-Spadina subway line. North-south buses along Keele, Symington and Lansdowne and Dufferin connect to the Bloor-Danforth subway line. There is GO Train station at Bloor (close to the Dundas West subway station) which zips riders into Union Station.
The community is served by 7 elementary schools, 4 Catholic elementary, 1 public high school, and 2 Catholic high schools, and several public libraries, including the Dufferin/St. Clair Library, which has the city's biggest Italian book collection. De La Salle College is on Avenue Road at Farnham, George Brown College is just south of Davenport, St Michael's College is nearby at Bathurst & St Clair. University of Toronto and Ryerson University are accessed via the Yonge-University-Spadina subway.
This area is rich in community shopping. The Corso Italia Shopping district, along St. Clair Avenue West, features Italian shops, restaurants, and sidewalk cafes. The St. Clair Gardens district on St Clair (of course), has shops and restaurants, and Davenport and Dupont have some shopping as well. In the west, the Keele & Dundas intersection has a vibrant retail cluster. In the east, the Galleria Mall (Dupont Street & Dufferin) is also a popular destination.
36 acre Earlscourt Park, south St. Clair Avenue West, has tennis courts, a playground, a running track, soccer fields, a baseball diamond, an outdoor ice rink, an outdoor pool, and a community centre with indoor soccer, indoor bocce and a swimming pool. Wallace Emerson Community Centre (at Dufferin) has an indoor pool, a gym, 4 tennis courts (which are a winter time ice rink), 1 basketball court, 3 bocce lanes. The community has several other parks with playgrounds, summer wading pools, and tennis courts.
The community still has some old workers' cottages from the 1850s and 60s, but most homes in Carleton Village were built in the 1800-1920 era, mostly in the Victoria style (with some being recently remodeled to a different style). Davenport's housing is a tad newer, with Victorian style homes built from 1900 to 1930. The community has some newer semi-detached homes. There are some modern townhouses southeast of Davenport & Lansdowne, and some high rises southwest of Davenport & Uxbridge Ave. Housing here is in the low- medium-low price ranges.